Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 44

I've been learning a lot here and there about some of the cultural/historical items as I've researched pictures to draw. This one is about a verse in Exodus where women spin goat hair to help make the Tent of Meeting (aka Tabernacle). I thought that'd be fun to do a drawing on that subject. But, as I looked into what kind of spinning wheel they might have used, I started to see older and older versions. At first I thought some of the wheels used in India (like Ghandi's famous picture) might be it. Then, I stumbled across some pics of nomadic women in the middle east spinning using spindle whorls (also other names, my little boy was messing with my notes on the desk and I can't find them right now). Basically, the hair/fur is held in one hand and twisted as a spindle is held in the other and turned, winding the thread/yarn into a spool. Figured that was as close as I'd probably get with my cursory investigation into how women spun back in Moses' day...

Day 44 Readings: Exodus 35:10-36:38, Matthew 27:32-66, Psalm 34:1-10, Proverbs 9:7-8

Exodus 35:26 - Spinning for the Tabernacle

Day 45 Readings: Exodus 37:1-38:31, Matthew 28:1-20, Psalm 34:11-22, Proverbs 9:9-10  More in a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment